Monday, October 12, 2009

FREE TABLE QUILT

At a recent retreat I found myself not wanting to work on "ALL" the projects I brought with me and began looking for something else to motivate me. I wandered over to the free table and found a book of upholstery fabrics. I set myself a challenge to use these fabrics in a new quilt.

I began by cutting the samples to a uniform size. After they were all a uniform size I cut them up again and sewed them into quarter square triangle blocks. (This was all done randomly). I then assembled the quilt, again using a random method. This was as far as I got at the retreat. I took the quilt top back to my studio and started working on it there.



At my studio I sandwiched the quilt top with wool batting and used another upholstery fabric for the backing. I then machine quilted it with cotton thread.



After quilting I overdyed the quilt and washed it.





The next and last step (so far!!!) is a silk screen discharging process. Stay tuned for more!!





No comments: