Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Work in Progress

I have been fascinated for a number of years with surface design. Dyeing, discharging, painting, foiling, screen printing. Various techniques applied to fabric to change the surface and texture for use in my quilts. This quilt "Nine" has a number techniques and various types of fabrics. There are old table clothes, canvas, and a chenille bedspread. These fabrics have been dyed, discharged, screen printed and painted.



This is a detail of "Nine". Free motion quilting was used to highlight the various textures.



I recently started a new series using more surface design techniques. This series has a little bit of a twist to it. The surface design has been done after the quilting was done. The next quilt was assembled with commercial fabrics, heavily quilted then the surface design was done. This quilt was discharged and overdyed a number of times.



This is a detail of the quilting.



I am very excited about this new series. I started another new quilt. I restricted the pallet on this quilt. I used yellow hand-dyed fabric and simple shapes.



Keeping the shapes simple I started quilting for the first level of texture.


Quilting finished and once through the washing machine.The next step is the beginning of the surface design.


Detail of quilting for "yellow study".


1 comment:

Blue Bear said...

love these new quilts! thought "" was my favorite until I saw the last one. Love that I can 'click' on the image and see a larger photo. Wonderful work!